Concrete Supply Edmonton
What are aggregates, and how can they help your project? These are raw materials that come from natural sources like pits and quarries. Mixing the aggregate with a medium like asphalt, water and cement produces a consistency used to put together a potent construction compound. Are they essential?
Importance Of Aggregate Materials
Aggregates are essential because they provide the physical support needed to maintain the concrete in construction. The choice of aggregates you choose will affect the construction results, which means you must make sure you work with a ready-mix concrete supplier who knows which exact product you need to meet the project's requirements for excellent standards.
Types Of Aggregates By Top-Rated Cement Suppliers
The size, shape, and volume of aggregate produced depend on what type you want for your construction needs. Minor factors like the shape, texture, and size of the particulates will significantly impact their workability and how it performs in your project.
Finding The Right Balance Of Concrete Supply
The right concrete mix should be easy to work with and have the right level of compactness to fit the project. The best concrete suppliers will know what amount of aggregate to order for each category because certain types are only suitable for the foundation and will not have the same results when installing the floor.
Small and fine aggregates need less cement to stay intact, while uniformly sized pieces need more cement to maintain the bond. All of these are things one must consider when choosing the right balance of supplies to end up with ingredients that deliver all the desires of your project.
Choose By The Shape
The final, most common method of finding the right aggregate product is to work with the shape and size of grains. Our aggregates come in a lot of different shapes, including the following:
- Angular – These have well-defined edges and a rough surface, making them useful for high-strength constructions by adding more products to improve the bond.
- Rounded – The naturally occurring shape of these aggregates happens from natural occurrences like erosion.
- Partly rounded – The aggregate also occurs from natural events, providing better bonding because it has partial roughness.
- Elongated – These are particularly helpful in a concrete mix and offer good bonding because they have more surface area.
- Flaky – They are generally thinner than most and make an excellent addition to landscaping mixes because of the smooth surface and equal size in length and width.
Choose By Size
- Fine aggregate ranges in size and has a maximum length of up to 5mm. You want to choose this when you want to mix it in cement to install smooth driveways, slabs, and walls.
- Coarse aggregate varies in size and can be as large as 9.5mm. They are familiar with the construction of outdoor features that do not necessarily need a smooth surface.
There are many ways to look at and choose construction aggregates, and you want to take some time to make sure you get the exact type needed for your project. Check out some of our information on aggregate and concrete supply in Edmonton, and get in touch at 780-743-0527 to book a consultation on ready-mix concrete.